Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Where the girls are all named hermana and the boys are all named elder

Here are the rules for working the road sustem here in Peru:
1. look both ways before crossing the street... seems pretty normal right?
2. If there is enough time for you to run across the street really fast and you didnt take that time to cross the street than you are a slowpoke and should go back to America where they have crosswalks that tell you when to go. Obvously Americans are not smart enough to cross the street by themselves.
But wait, there's more
3. Do not wave at any cars, even trying to be nice, they will stop and ask if you want a ride
4. Get really comfortable with the people around you waiting for a bus because odds are you will be close enough to kiss them as soon as the guy working the bus door crams as many people as will fit onto the bus
5. Wonder why youve never had so much life threatening fun in America before, seriously, the bus system is a blast
Basically if you want to learn spanish you make friends with the latinos, which really isnt very hard to do. Theyre the nicest people youll ever talk to. But the Latinos from the last group left on tuesday (sad day) because theyre only here for two weeks due to the fact that they already speak Spanish....

Anyway when they left on tuesday it was only us white people here so we played some Gringo soccer during physical activity time. Weve all been around the Latinos so were all pretty decent. My goal, if nothing else, is to come home with wicked awsome latino soccer skills.

We got a new group of Latinos in Yesterday evening and one of them, Hermana Guzman, when I introduced myself 1) said that I spoke spanish very well (I think she said like a castillana or something like that, I think its a white spanish speaker like from spain or something and 2) that she knew who I was from an email. One of the Latinos from the previous week had emailed her about me
There is a crazy timewarp here. I cant remember if what I think I did yesterday actually happend like a week ago. I feel like I got here yesterday and that I was born here at the same time...... But I love it.
Today we went to the temple and when we came out we were able to meet some little Peruvian primary children and take a picture with them. When we were done all the little girls came up and gave the hermanas a kiss on the cheek (its a custom here to greet and say goodbye to people this way) It was the most precious thing that has ever happened to me.
Everyone looks beautiful in the Daddy daughter dance picture
Hannah: I hope your birthday was great and I just want to let you know that I am currently memorizing the first vision in spanish so I hope youre memorizing a scripture in english for the month :)
I love you all, thank you to everyone who has helped me in even the smallest way :)
God be with you til we meet again
Con Amor,
Hermana Blanca
Props to anyone who got my hercules reference

No comments:

Post a Comment